Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Trailer Review





(Disclaimer: I'm almost positive Dorian does not agree with any reasoning behind this review, so send all hate mail to me).

Eclipse, the third movie in the Twilight Saga stars the two most depressing people in the world, Abs, that guy from the show Fastlane, Dakota Fannings eyes, and a shit load of Vampires and Werewolves.

Now when we first started this little show/blog called The Couch, Dorian and Myself made sure to inform you all that we were filmmakers as well. Personally for me I believe that as a filmmaker you should LOVE movies. But you should also expose yourself to movies of all kinds. Good or bad. Again personally I try to find something redeeming in anything I see. The Twilight series so far, has had some good and bad.

When Twilight came out, I was simply fascinated by the already established audience. But when the movies were being released it was like a maelstrom. Theaters where selling out in advanced, midnight shows, Hot Topic store appearances, Cats and Dogs living together; MASS HYSTERIA! I'll admit I read the first two books and after the hype I died down, I dragged some of my close friends to see the first Twilight movie in theaters and while I could see the downfalls, and there were many, I also saw the attraction to this story.

Enter New Moon, the 2nd book and movie in the series. New Moon had a lot more going for it from the trailers alone. For one it had Chris Weitz, a new and I argue better director, and huge fucking dogs, to represent the Rise of the Lycans...sorry wrong movie, I meant Werewolves. The movie to me was just better directed, it still had the essence/emo-ness of the characters which was established in the first one, unfortunately, but overall it was a better paced and more watchable movie.

It also introduced us to the Volturi, the Vampire Royalty of the Twilight Universe. These guys are badass and the actors playing them knew exactly what kind of movie they were in and just had fun with their roles. Sadly it came only close to the end of the movie, but again I argue it was worth the wait. (Spoiler for New Moon coming NOW...) So New Moon ends with Edward asking Bella to marry him and then cut to black. Why couldn't she have just said "yes" and then cut to black? We know she's gonna say yes, that's all she's been crying about for two movies!

End of Prelude.

We come now to Eclipse the third movie in this sexually frustrated series and just from the trailer alone it looks like we're not going to be wasting any time, its prompt, fast paced, has a purpose, and it looks like we are going to get a Marvel Team-Up of sorts. So, Vampires in Seattle are angry cause Edward has a human pet/girlfriend and now someone is building an army of vampires to go and take care of them. Personally I think their all jealous cause they can't get hot, sexually frustrated girls like Bella, so like all jealous individuals do, they are going to upset the established order and introduce a little anarchy. Haters, man.

The other interesting aspect to this series of films is the caliber of directors its attracting. David Slade, whose past works include, Hard Candy and 30 Days of Night, directs this outing of the Twilighter's and the images of people being brutally hunted down and murdered and said army of Vampires walking from out of the water are very cool and chilling.

The reason I'm willing to admit to being interested in this movie is because I'm a fan of drama and I see these movies as very over the top soap operas. Summit Entertainment has tapped into a tone, style, and 15 year old girls hearts everywhere and they are very smart in keeping with this style and going out to get these notable directors to churn out the best kind of soap opera ever!

I'm not saying go and see this movie. But if your even remotely curious, then why not? Who cares what anyone says. My only advice if you are curious, is that you should go when all the hordes of small girls have had their time.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse opens June 30th 2010

Dueces!
StuntmanBob

No comments:

Post a Comment