Saturday, June 26, 2010

SALT Trailer Review





If Pepper Potts and Evelyn Salt got into a fight, who would take that crown?

Salt, is the brand new or re-used story idea, starring Angelina Jolie. Before I begin the open heart surgery on this trailer, let me say that overall it feels like a big kid screaming at me; ( in annoying child taunting talk) "I have a secret and I won't tell you!!!". That shit is annoying. We get it, there is a possible twist somewhere in this movie. Way to give away the one thing you might have going for you!

The beginning of the trailer starts off with Ms. Jolie being hauled off by cops, a quick action sequence later and we are at yet another question; " You think everyone is who they say they are?" Well no, if your asking. There are so many questions in this movie trailer that I get the feeling that's what I'll be left with at the end of the movie. Questions.

The next few scenes look like episodes of the TNT show The Closer as we are informed by Liev Schreiber's character that no one can crack people faster in a room, than Salt. Angelina plays the title character: Evelyn Salt. A C.I.A agent who is "revealed" to be a Russian assassin set to kill the President of the United States. So... as any normal American would do, she goes rogue, jumps off a few expressways, turns herself into a Maxim model and attempts to prove her innocence, all in this rom-com of an action/spy thriller.

Its really a shame that nothing in this trailer looks original. There are hints of Mission Impossible 3 with her pulling a fake face off, walking along the edges of buildings and close shot chase sequences bring back memories of The Bourne Movies and the fact that she might be potentially framed for killing an important political figure is straight from the movie Shooter, with Mark Wahlberg. I cringe at the what future taglines of this movie might be. "Salt is the new Bourne!" or "Its Mission Impossible meets Bourne with a Shooter mixed in."

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of action and spy movies, but from the trailer it just doesn't look like there is anything that sets it apart from the mentioned movies. The supporting cast consists of some top gents, who are always at the top of their game; Liev Schreiber and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Schreiber was recently seen in the disappointing X-Men Origins: Wolverine in which he played Wolverine's nemesis Sabertooth. Ejiofor has played memorable villains in Four Brothers and the sci-fi action pic Serenity.

I really like both these actors and after doing research on the movie I found out that the original incarnation of the script had the main character as a man. Beat! Perhaps Salt is really a man? It might have been more cliche but if the original script was the one being shot, how would Liev or Chiwetel faired as the agent with a questionable identity? I think both of them are of the caliber of actors to bring something new to a role like that, if done correctly. Much like what Matt Damon did with Jason Bourne.

The movie is directed by Phillip Noyce whose past work includes The Bone Collector (urg!) which also starred Angelina Jolie. Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger both starring Harrison Ford and both are notable films is the Jack Ryan series. So its clear that Mr. Noyce is no stranger to the spy game, but why does this movies look like SPAM. I wonder how the tone would have been if the trailer had more of a Jack Ryan feel.

The movie is written by Kurt Wimmer and I would say he is the only reason I'm curious about this movie. I was first exposed to Kurt Wimmer with a movie he wrote and directed called Equilibrium, that starred Christian Bale. AMAZING shit! Go out and find it now, if you haven't seen it. His next writing credits included The Recruit, Ultraviolet, The Thomas Crown Affair, and most recently Law Abiding Citizen, which starred Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. Each of these movies, except for perhaps Ultraviolet, were really good, watchable thrillers. The Thomas Crown Affair and Law Abiding Citizen especially. So its obvious the guy knows how to write, so I'm hoping that's what saves this trailer.

Aside from me picking apart this trailer, I do plan to see what its all about. Despite being overly cliche the trailer does do a good job of establishing tension, suspicion, and action. But as a fan of Kurt Wimmer in particular, I hope that he's thrown something in here that makes it worth my time at the movies.

Salt hits theaters July 23, 2010

Dueces!
StuntmanBob

1 comment:

  1. Chiwetel Ejiofor has played Othello, and Liev Schreiber has played Iago, both to great acclaim (but not for the same production). I wonder if they spent the downtime on the set talking about Shakespeare (probably not).

    Anyway, I'm guessing the twist is that Liev Schreiber is secretly the bad guy, right?

    ReplyDelete