Monday, June 14, 2010

The Ol' Switch 'o rue!

" The Losers looks like a better version of the The A-Team" , those were the words that I said to Dorian, my partner in movie crime, when both the trailers to those movies came out. Today is the day that I've seen the A-Team for the second time! And I must say that The A-Team whipped The Losers' ass!

Now for a quick message about The A-Team. Having only seen a few episodes of the original series, I can truly say that director Joe Carnahan has crafted a film worthy of the word, ACTION! The movie opens perfectly as a mini origin story of how the team got together. Thank you Joe, cast, crew, crafty, and PA's for not making us sit through a 2 hour origin story and then at the end showing us how B.A. "gets the Mohawk". There are some movies that work as full on origin stories, a la Batman Begins, but I don't need another Ang Lee HULK*. You feel me? The movie wastes no time, as my my lady friend ;), who I saw the movie with, said, "this is why you go to the movies". You immediately get lost in all the crazy antics and camaraderie that Hannibal, B.A., Murdock, and Face have between them. The action, though ridiculous, is so fun and works for the simplicity of the story that you don't even notice the sometimes, ok, CGI.

So anyways, go see it, duh!.

So back to the show; When The Losers came out to theaters I was there opening weekend and the movie sadly was very unfulfilling, it had its moments and the only thing working for it was the believability in its characters, much like The A-Team. It felt like they had known each other for as long as Rusty and Danny Ocean had, from the Ocean's 11 series. The villain in The Losers was trying to hard and the main story line just didn't have enough believability to it. Yes, even for a comic book movie. Now as you all know I was very excited for this movie and gave a very positive review on its trailer but sad to say the outcome was less than thrilling. The A-Team was what I wanted and hoped The Losers would be.

This brings me to my point. Trailers, although entertaining, can be so deceptive, and even one such as I, can be deceived. I know right? Calm down no one is perfect. But in any case this is one of the reasons why Dorian and myself critique the trailers because so much can come from them! And you should too! Just because the trailer looks good doesn't me the movie will be phenomenal. I take this experience as a lesson learned. I love discovering things like this, when I think something is gonna be this and it turns out to be that. For me as a filmmaker, film lover and filmgoer it makes it all worth it.

If anybody has thoughts on the A-Team or The Losers hit us up at guysonthecouch@gmail.com



*I did enjoy Ang Lee's HULK on a completely artistic level. Don't Hate, but if you must, I understand.

Dueces!
Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment