Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Movie Review: ANOTHER EARTH



On November 22, 2006 Darren Arnofsky's The Fountain hit theaters. I remember when the credits rolled I sat in my seat, pleasently traumatized by what I had just seen. I hadn't had a feeling like that until watching Another Earth.

Another Earth is directed by Mike Cahill and stars Brit Marling (who also co-wrote with Cahill) and William Mapother. If you've watched the trailer and I hope you have, you know that on the eve of a terrible accident, Rhoda causes an accident that ends the life of a mother and child; leaving the husband a widower. On this night the discovery of a second Earth is revealed. Rarely in a summer, where numerous sequels and big budget blockbusters are released; are we given a movie that truly makes us use our brain. Aside from context of the movie, there is a beautiful and yet tragic relationship between the two main characters. Their relationship is extended by various doctors and scientists who ask those moral questions such as "what would you say to the to other you?" or "Has the other me made the same mistakes that I have". These question tap into the basic human emotions of ours to figure it all out and figure our why we are here.

Those questions and the actions of the characters are what make the movie such an emotional powerhouse. Brit Marling who plays the main character Rhoda, has a very interesting acting style. With no formal training she delivers a very deep and neglectful performance that doesn't make the audience feel sorry for her, but more or less ask ourselves if we'd do the same thing that she is doing.

I'm sure that the thought of focusing on the sci-fi aspects of this film would be more attractive and commercial but there is subtext here that truly makes you think and is fuel for an amazing after movie conversation with friends. While my review isn't that long, only because its something that you should experience and not have someone like me explain it to you, I must say that this is by far one of my favorite movies of the summer. It holds more in its soul than that piece of shit Transformers movie! If your looking to be challenged and maybe discover something about yourself; see this movie!

Oh and one more thing, the end is also breathtaking!

Another Earth makes its way into theaters on July 22nd, 2011

Deuces!
StuntmanBob

No comments:

Post a Comment