Saturday, April 23, 2011

Trailer Review: PROM



No one's PROM is like this. Seriously. Here I'll prove it.

My Prom was started off good; got the school to pay for the ticket of my date and I, was rocking a stone cold zoot suit, danced, she won Prom Queen, I didn't win Prom King (awkward). THEN on the way home I get locked in a gas station because some guy is arguing over ten cents and gupta behind the counter gets all freaked out, electronically locks the door and calls the cops. Finally I got out, jump the expressway and as I'm paying a toll the toll booth guy asks if I just got married. Why not right? So I told him yea and he let me go for free through the toll. Went home and went to bed.

SEE!!

When I see trailers like this that are released by Disney I often wonder if the execs get handed the script, look at it and say, "well its not great, but we have Cars 2 coming out this summer and we really need some extra cash cause we are remodeling the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. OH! also that Star Tours revamp wasn't cheap either. You know what greenlight it. Pixar will keep us on track". This is by far one of the laziest movies that Disney has put out. This looks like it would have faired better on the actual Disney channel as a made for TV movie.

PROM looks like a feel good movie and the time its being released is perfect because it is around the actual Prom season, so I'm sure a lot of suburban high schools can relate. I think the trailer tries to follow to many characters, the dialogue is a clear sign of that. Its very flat, obvious and uninventive. Also there is nothing new being done with this concept. I argue that the movie 10 Things I Hate About You which is based off of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew is a far better representation of the ritual of Prom, than, well the PROM TRAILER.

Disney also likes to live in this fantasy world that is oh so tiring. The hotties are still blond. The bad boys are the people with long hair, some scruff and wear leather jackets. The nerds have no confidence and are slightly big 'round the midsection and sweat profusely. And there also has to be this "Bring it on" tension between the white hottie and the black girl. ENOUGH!!!! This is 2011, why is there no sign of it in here?

SIDENOTE: Ok so half way through the trailer the white girl tells the black girl that they crown the Prom King and Queen at as certain time, so don't be late. Was that some racial profiling insinuating that black people are always late? Yea I knew you caught that. #CPT

The movie is directed by Joe Nussbaum, whose last movies were Sydney White and American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile. I haven't seen either of those movies for obvious reasons but Mr. Nussbaum is most famous for, in my book, directing the short George Lucas in Love. If you have not seen this short, you are not a true Star Wars fan. There is a wit and cleverness within this short that is amazing! However those same traits are absent from this trailer.

Now there was a show on ABC, which is owned by Disney, called My Generation. This show had a documentary crew following a group of high schoolers through prom, graduation, etc. Then catches up with them ten years later to see what's changed and so forth. Sounds like an interesting drama right? While it did get cancelled, I would have challenged executives to go back to the drawing board, find the holes in why the show didn't work and taylor a movie about Prom using the documentary style. I know it might not have helped anymore than what we have now, but in terms of caring for the characters, it could have made somewhat of a difference.

I would personally stay away from PROM, yes it looks cute and cuddly, but I predict a lot of eye rolling and sigh's while watching this movie. Oh and someone needs to let the studio's know that they are really over using "Firework" by Katy Perry. It has to stop.

Well the final review of this movie will happen when someone (not me) sees the credits roll and house lights go up.

Prom asks you to Prom April 29th, 2011

If you curious in seeing George Lucas in Love, I've embedded it below

Dueces!
StuntmanBob


No comments:

Post a Comment