Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sanctum Trailer Review




I am most certainly on a James Cameron high.

Sanctum is the "inspired by true events" story of a bunch of cave divers getting trapped in a cave and trying to escape/survive. Pretty simple, right? But if your going to have anybody behind this movie it had better be James Cameron.

A few weeks ago I just finished reading the book The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron, by Rebecca Keegan. Aside learning more about Cameron's famous and groundbreaking movies I was surprised to learn what he did in his off time. Going on deep sea dives to the Titanic and of course his journey to shoot his infamous Abyss, really opened my eyes to the explorer he really is. His brother and him also hold quite a few patents on new camera's and diving equipment that they designed, so Cameron could shoot under water. Impressive; I recommend the book if any of you are interested.

I'm looking forward to Sanctum for a couple reasons. Richard Roxburgh and Ioan Gruffudd are two of those reasons. The latter is mostly known for playing Mr. Fantastic/Reed Richards in the Fantastic Four movies and in a great indie movie called The TV Set as a tv exec. I caught wind of him in the movie King Arthur where he played a new incarnation of Lancelot. Richard Roxbugh has always been a favorite of mine, he's hammed up Dracula for Stephen Sommers in Van Helsing, battled it out with Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 2, and played the Duke in Baz Lurhman's Moulin Rogue. Both actors are incredibly versatile and I'm glad they are getting a movie to shine in, like this.

The size and scope are another reason, this movie just looks big! But really came in under the radar in terms of advertising and such. Of course they are using the fact that Cameron is producing as a marketing tool. But I must hand it to director Alister Grierson and just the cast and crew for pulling off an awesome looking flick, which I'm sure was without its problems. Movies like this really show you the joys and lows of filmmaking. You have a team of cave divers (filmmakers), going where no one has explored before and trying to make it out alive and in one piece. Same as a film crew; everyone must pull together to make an great and entertaining movie and survive in the process.

In my last few post on trailers I've been very big on authenticity. I will echo that same feeling here. I love that this looks like they are in really tight spaces without the help of CGI. Granted there are some shots of CGI in there but the great wide shots of the area surrounding the cave hole is a great juxtaposition to the claustrophobic spaces of the cave itself.

I love an adventure, that's why we all go to the movies and from the looks of it so far, the desperation to survive at the end of trailer really makes me feel like this movie will deliver.

Sanctum dives into theaters on February 4th, 2011

Dueces
StuntmanBob

No comments:

Post a Comment