Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Its So UN-FLUFFY!!!" Despicable Me Trailer Review




Despicable Me comes from the Executive Producers of the Ice Age series which I'm a fan of and needless to say, I have a bone to pick with trailer(s) that advertise this movie.

Earlier in the week, I was listening to the Slashfilm Podcast in their after dark series. Which is the show after the show, and they were having a very interesting conversation about watching trailers. Now although I didn't agree with somethings that were being said, I appreciate the fact that they really got into talking about trailers as a whole. The conversation encompassed teaser trailers to full length trailers. How good they are. How much information they give away. How sometimes they don't do a movie justice. Etc.

This movie has so many trailers that its just confusing. I remember the first teaser for this movie had the main character, Gru, trying to get over this big ass wall. This was the home of his arch enemy, but his attempts were always being foiled by the extensive security system that was running. Nothing impressive, but it was what a teaser does; gives you a taste of what to expect. A clever battle of wits and technology between to evildoers seemed pretty awesome.

Next we were subjected to even smaller tv spot like teaser trailers with these little yellow thumb looking, overall wearing creatures as the advertisement for the movie. These..."things" literally looked design rejects for SpongeBob SquarePants. They were funny for a minute but just got real played out.

Coincidentally, on Father's Day weekend, a full trailer for the movie is finally released and we get an entirely different mood. One where Gru is trying to be bad but now has to assume a father-like role in taking care of three girls that are thrust upon him. This to me just felt like it came out of no where and it feels a little misplaced. Now this movie which started off looking like an interesting way to look into the world of villainy, care of some slick animation, has turned into a "Series of Unfortunate Events" for Gru, PUN INTENDED.

The cast for this as well as all animation films are very impressive, Steve Carell voices Gru and the supporting cast is Jason Segal, Russel Brand Kristen Wiig, Miranda cosgrove, Will Arnett, Danny McBride, Jack McBrayer, and Julie Andrews.

I like Steve Carrell, he always adds this sense of awkwardness that I think audiences can relate with. But why does Gru sound Russian? Is he Russian? He just sounds like a sober version of the Russian Cosmonaut in Armageddon. And what the hell is up with the Uncle Fester look? I might be knit picking but that's bugging me too. Are the filmmakers trying to make him sound like a terrorist type villain? I mean he is planning to steal the moon. So yea? Alright I feel if I go on I'll just get more picky so I'll finish up.

This movie, as with everything on the planet is being given the 3D treatment. (sigh). Looks like I'll be going to the 2D showing. The only saving grace for me is this trailer is the little girl who is gonna die cause "ITS SO FLUFFY!". Give me an entire movie about her, cause as of right now, I don't really care for anyone in this trailer other than her.

As always the final review will be when the credits roll and house lights come up.

Dueces!
StuntmanBob

No comments:

Post a Comment