Friday, February 19, 2010

Brooklyn's Finest Trailer Review




Welcome back Wesley Snipes!

Brooklyn's Finest is out March 5th 2010 and is directed by Antonie Fuqua, whose past works include Training Day, King Arthur, and Shooter. Fuqua to me has made some very solid and watchable movies. Training Day alone should lead to you believe that as cliche as the stories lines in this trailer look, nothing is what it seems with this material in the hands of this director.

The cast for this movie is top notch and everybody seems to fit perfectly into their respective roles. Personally I've been on a little bit of an Ethan Hawke-high. Having watched Daybreakers, Gattaca, and his performance as a smooth talking, sexually open writer in the film compilation New York, I Love You, has made me realize how much I like him as an actor. The reality and intensity he brings to his characters, is one of the reasons I look forward to seeing this movie. Don Cheadle and Richard Gere fill the card as tortured cops counting the days till they are released from the duties, respectively. But I feel the real story here is....Wesley Snipes. I REALLY like him in this trailer. I got flashbacks of movies like New Jack City and Sugar Hill. I hope this is the movie that brings him back to doing Hollywood films and not just straight to dvd releases. Although they were entertaining, the Blade movies were bringing him down and I'm happy they didn't continue them any further. The dichotomy between Wesley Snipes' gangster character and Don Cheadle remind me of a another good cop drama called In Too Deep. The story of an undercover cop struggling to keep his eye on catching the bad guy, but struggles when he's "in too deep" and becomes the closest and most trusted person to this bad guy. I suggest if you haven't seen that movie to check it out. But you can tell from the trailer that the relationship is doomed as Don Cheadle struggles to decide which side he's really on.

So many cop movies have come out and are coming out, your probably asking what makes this one so different and why am I praising this one in particular? It's all in the execution. When I first watched this trailer I was immediately reminded of another cop drama called Pride and Glory, which starred Edward Norton and Colin Farrell, as two brothers who get wrapped up in an investigation that hits close to home. The actions that took place in the movie, mostly the violence, just seemed real unecessary and actually overshadowed the character drama that was supposed to be, I'm assuming, the main focus of the movie. The same could also be said about the movie Max Payne, with Mark Wahlberg, whose over use of in-camera slow motion was only the real decent thing to watch in that entire movie.

There are a lot of things in this trailer that we've seen before. Normally the adding of a song like Jay-Z's "Run this Town" and the prayer to St. Michael that Ethan Hawke's character recites would bother me cause they are in some instances really tacky. But in the execution of the trailer, they don't seem to overshadow the characters or single out just one of them. I could believe that Wesley's gangster persona and Ethan's desperate cop, even though they may have different story lines in the movie, could say that same prayer every day of their lives. So in that one feature we are given a deeper sense of the characters, their motives, and what they could or are going through. Which makes for a successful trailer all around for me.



Box office Prediction- 20 million

Dueces!
Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment